About the Fire Hose Cart House
Built forty years after the Great Fire of 1846 destroyed much of downtown Nantucket, the NHA Fire Hose Cart House is a reminder of the pivotal role fire played in Nantucket’s history.
This newly-restored building at 8 Gardner Street is the last remaining structure of its kind to house vintage nineteenth-century hose carts and pumpers, including “Cataract #6”, which survived the Great Fire of 1846.
The restoration project was made possible in part by a grant from the Nantucket Community Preservation Committee. The restoration includes updated displays and artifacts, as well as an interactive exhibit that offers in-depth interpretations of the history of fires on Nantucket.